Saturday, March 5, 2016

Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation Review

Hi all,
Today I wanted to talk about the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation
So I've been using this foundation for quite some time now, especially during this past winter as it provides amazing coverage and covers up my bright red, irritated skin and leaves it looking even and matte.

Side note: when I first got this foundation, I was color tested at Sephora (it's currently not sold elsewhere) and recommended Light 45 which is described as "light complexion with yellow undertones". From that description, I shouldn't have bought it. My undertones are not yellow, but more neutral and leaning pink. So, I took it home, tried it out under my poor lighting in my bedroom and saw no issue with the color. I loved the way it applied, and the way it felt. However, as the day went on I began to notice it under different lighting, looking very, VERY orange. Like oompa-loompa level orange. I then took the foundation back and requested a lighter shade. This being Light 44 described as "light complexion with pink undertones". This one  is much better, yet still oxidizes weirdly orange when exposed to the air too soon. This is very noticeable when you use the back of your hand to pump the products onto, and then look at your hand and see a large, orange splotch. So, I went back to Sephora for a third time, and exchanged it for Light 42, their lightest shade, described as "fair complexion with pink undertones". This one finally seems to work with my color, but be forewarned, it might be difficult to find an exact color match. Plus, trust your own instincts over the Sephora color match thing, you known your own skin


Now, on the review!

All in all, I love this foundation. It's matte, thick, silky, and photographs beautifully. However, this is not a good foundation for day to day use and I'll explain why as we go.

The foundation is VERY thick, almost paint-like when it empties the pump. It also is very high coverage, so I only need to use one pump to do my entire face and neck.  

How much I need for full coverage of face and neck
                                 
To apply, I use a beauty blender and a gentle, tapping motion all over the face until it is thoroughly blended. I don't recommend using your fingers, or a flat brush as it can look very streaky. I typically go over my problem areas (my cheeks and forehead) followed by the rest of my face to ensure these areas get covered.

Once you have applied it, you are really left with a blank canvas to work with!


Before
After






Now you can see what I mean by blank canvas above. To make this foundation wearable, you really need to use a contouring powder or cream to add some definition to the face. Also, another drawback to this foundation is just how thick it is on the skin. This can lead to breakouts if it isn't properly removed before you go to bed at night. However, for special occasions, pictures, or recording video, there is nothing better. It looks so great on camera, when I record or take pictures for the blog I won't wear anything else. 
My final look included the Anastasia Beverly Hills Powder Contour Palette, Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow in Taupe, Marc Jacobs Highliner Black Gel Eyeliner, Urban Decay Naked 2 on the eyes, and Kat Von D Lolita 2 on the lips. 


Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).


Thanks for reading, I hope you really enjoyed it and make sure you stay tuned for more reviews and tutorials!

No comments:

Post a Comment